STORIES - JOURNEYS
JOURNEYS For Adults 50+
Salem Covenant Church – New Brighton, Minnesota
The seeds for JOURNEYS were planted during the church’s strategic planning process initiated by the Leadership Team to discern what areas of focus would help their church increase effectiveness in fulfilling its mission. The result from a look at the external community was that one of the largest and fastest growing populations in the church’s community was people headed into retirement. This also was one of the largest percentages within the existing congregation.
Internally, the current Senior Fellowship Team, while implementing great monthly Friday lunch events, were noticing declining numbers and an increasing average age of the boomers and beyond that attended. The Senior Fellowship ministry team stated they knew that something needed to be done for the boomers and beyond who didn’t have mobility issues, but that was just not what their team was called to do.
Forming a Leadership Team specifically for this new ministry was a priority. After that team was recruited and equipped for the task, the vision was translated into action.
JOURNEYS For Adults 50+ emerged as the name of the ministry with a stated purpose:
JOURNEYS exists to provide connecting opportunities through a wholistic ministry within and beyond the Salem community to strengthen spiritual growth, stimulate intellectual curiosity, promote healthy living, and enrich social, community and missional involvement.
In this inaugural year of Journeys the focus is on partnering with other Salem Ministry teams, planning events that promote fellowship, friendship and learning, and helping to make connections to Salem ministries that already exist. These experiences have included:
- Fun and fellowship at our Chili Cook off and game night
- Many of our adults participated in the Trunk or Treat event
- Joined the Children and Family team in collecting bags of food for the Union Gospel Mission.
- Held a bowling event
- Took our Chili Cook off on the road and served the Homeless shelter at First Covenant
- Packed meals at Feed my Starving Children
- Supported the Salem Community Bible reading experience during Lent as participants and leaders of small groups
- Sponsored a barbeque and outdoor game night in June
- Hosted a Fall Festival
- Sponsored a book-signing party for senior pastor