Crescendo at Countryside Covenant Church in McPherson, Kansas
The mission of Crescendo at Countryside is “every person at Countryside who is 55 plus, growing in Jesus Christ and engaged in His kingdom.”
The ministry developed over a period of 20 months from the time of the first Crescendo seminar to the launch event. The well-attended launch event opened the door for a wide range of activities during the past year including:
- for spiritual growth… Christian Formation Classes – Biblical Grandparenting and “Third Calling,” and Small Groups – one using “Third Calling” and others doing Bible study and book studies relevant to nearing/entering/experiencing retirement
- for intellectual and emotional growth… Cov Talks where breakfast is served with round table discussion/question-answer time focused on topics introduced by local speakers from the community,
- to nurture community building… a Widow’s Group is meeting monthly for coffee, devotions, and fellowship and JOY game night is held with board/table games and conversation,
- to support physical well-being – Participants met at a various locations to join in walking as a group to explore various trails within the thirty-mile radius,
- to support serving – one-time events included a visit to community non-profits to explore was to serve in the future, Paper Christmas at the Museum including a paper goods collection for a housing ministry, and TEC month when high school students were available before and after worship services for those 55+ to ask questions about their phones and mobile devices.
An existing “Sew and Share” group of retired ladies added brown bag lunch discussions with staff to share about our own areas of ministry and how they can help out.
Events in Summer 2019 include: publishing a list of who exercises at various locations so people can find a friendly face to help in starting a regular routine, a concert with picnic brown bag, dinners for 8, and a mission trip to experience inner-city ministry in Kansas City.