by Beth Seversen
The growth in the number of unchuched adults has increased in the last decade by 30 percent and in 2014 reached a staggering 43 percent of the U.S. population. The Barna Group estimate the number of unchurched adults in the U.S. now to be around 114 million (Barna and Kinnamon 2014, 33). Barna and Kinnaman in their book Churchless: Understanding Today’s Unchurched and How to Connect with Them encourage Christians to continue to engage unchurched people and to seek ways to connect to them. Let’s pray for good connections this week to the “churchless.” Take 5 minutes to pray for 5 unchurched family or friends these 5 concerns today and for the next 5 days!
- May God remove and dispel the barriers to the gospel in their lives.
- May God change their negative attitudes, perceptions, and stereotypes of the church and replace these with positive perceptions.
- May God give us opportunities to serve our community alongside the unchurched and may he dispel any ill will and create wonderful connection between unchurched and churched people as we serve the world and our communities together.
- May God remove any resistance that unchurched family and friends have toward the gospel and toward our friendship and influence in their lives.
- May God give us creative ways to connect with, love on, and serve unchurched family and friends and may they be responsive to our care.