10 Healthy Missional Markers
Metrics that Matter: How to measure a healthy missional church
It is hard to measure spirituality. Some say it is even unwise to do so. Yet when we look at the New Testament, the disciples are coaching churches forward. They are using a frame of reference of what a vital congregation looks like.
Jesus himself is speaking to the churches in Revelation (chapters 2 and 3) about their own strengths and weaknesses. One of the ministries of the Holy Spirit is to guide churches into telling the truth about themselves, not just telling the truth about Jesus. In the Bible, evaluation is normal and natural.
Although there is no perfect list that describes a healthy missional church, we in the Covenant are using the ten healthy missional markers. By “healthy” we mean pursuing Christ. By “missional” we mean pursuing Christ’s priorities in the world. It is our fervent prayer that every Covenant church becomes a healthy missional church. These markers help us to listen to the Holy Spirit…so that our ears are open to what Jesus is saying to each church.
To this end, we have created an easy to use resource. Under each marker, there is a bank of valuable resources: sermons, song suggestions, videos, articles, stories, small group material and other helpful tools. We are ever expanding this list, so send us your ideas.
Simply click on the particular marker you want to engage. As you do, remember that the Holy Spirit is using these ten markers to develop a common language of vitality throughout the entire Covenant Church. You are not alone. We are “in it together.”
- A special note to pastors
- Application to Healthy Missional Families
- Praying Through the Ten Healthy Missional Markers
- Missional Markers Pastoral Evaluation Form
The standardized set of criteria used in the Pulse assessment is the ten Healthy Missional Markers that flow out of Veritas. Even though every church is different, these markers can be used to determine a church’s general level of health and vitality. Click on each marker below to be directed to its description and accompanying resources.
Healthy Missional Markers
- Centrality of the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16)
- Life transforming walk with Jesus (John 3:3, 30; Phil. 1:6)
- Intentional evangelism (Matthew 28:18-20)
- Transforming communities through active compassion, mercy, and justice ministries (Micah 6:8)
- Global perspective and engagement (Acts 1:8)
- Compelling Christian community (Acts 2:42-47)
- Heartfelt worship (Psalm 138:1a; John 4:23)
- Sacrificial and generous living and giving (Romans 12:1-8)
- Culture of godly leadership (Hebrews 13:7)
- Fruitful Organizational Structures (Acts 6:1-7; Exodus 18:13-26)