Safety is a crucial element in any church ministry. Below are links to several sources that can help you:
- develop policies
- do background screening
- answer safety related questions
- train volunteers
- be equipped with appropriate forms
- keep informed on new safety developments
ECC Safety Policy Guide
Use the resource Making Churches Safer to develop your church policy.
While not specifically endorsed by the Evangelical Covenant Church, the resources below can be helpful for developing and implementing a ministry safety plan to reduce the risk of abuse and other safety concerns. To find out what your state’s mandatory reporting laws are, please visit ChildWelfare.gov.
Preparing Children for Natural and Manmade Disasters
Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company
This site has a specific section on church safety issues. It includes:
- Articles on safety and child abuse prevention
- Guidebooks – guidelines for ministry workers, camps, and school ministries
- Sample forms
Church Mutual Insurance
This site provides free safety resources. It includes:
- Sample policies and procedures.
This site includes some free samples, but one must have a membership to access most resources and services. The site includes:
- Background check services
Reducing the Risk
This site offers child abuse prevention training. It includes:
- Training dvds (available for purchase)
- Online training (also available for purchase)
StopBullying.gov provides information on what bullying is, who is at risk, and how you can prevent and respond to bullying.
The Bully Project
The BULLY Project, the social action campaign inspired by the documentary film BULLY.
The risk management experts at Brotherhood Mutual have some serious advice to keep your church’s play areas fun and safe.
This site is a collaboration between Christianity Today International’s Your Church Media Group and Brotherhood Mutual Insurance Company. Its includes:
- Risk management information on a broad range of safety topics.
- Free articles and safety assessments in eight different categories of safety: kids, staff, ministries, money, law, property, transportation, and emergencies.
- Discussion boards where you can pose a question to a panel of experts.
- Free newsletters
There is the option to purchase a yearly membership for access to more resources and tools, such as step-by-step policy and procedure guides. They also offer the option of background checks.
Guide One Insurance
This site provides safety and security resources through the GuideOne Center for Risk Management and SafeChurch. The site includes:
- Sample forms – application forms, background check authorization form, reference check forms, etc.
- Resources and sample policies on child abuse prevention/sexual misconduct
- Free newsletters
- Access to SafeChurch which has a variety of resources, assessment tools, sample policy/procedure documents, and online training. (only available for commercial customers of GuideOne Insurance.)
Helping Kids Deal With Bullies
Important article on information for children being bullied, and actions to help stop it. In addition, there are ways to help children cope with teasing, bullying, or mean gossip, and lessen its lasting impact.
Safeguard From Abuse
Online child abuse awareness training. Use COVENANT20 to get 20% off online training, DVD or both.