What does the Evangelical Covenant Church believe?
Our Six Affirmations
- We affirm the centrality of the word of God.
- We affirm the necessity of the new birth.
- We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the church.
- We affirm the church as a fellowship of believers.
- We affirm a conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit.
- We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ.
While the Covenant is nonconfessional, we take our theology and our history seriously, and we value the early creeds. Our common Christian affirmations are that we are an apostolic, catholic, Reformation, and evangelical church. In that heritage, we share central Christian beliefs, which draw us together in faith and fellowship and make possible a freedom among us on more widely ranging issues.
We hope that as you read these affirmations you will find yourself identifying with them in your own faith experience. If they raise questions for you or you would like to read further, we encourage you to ask your pastor (if you are already in contact with a Covenant church) or any Covenant pastor for more suggestions.