Description of Credential
Consecration for missionary service in the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) is an act of the church by which a person called by God is recognized and set apart for missionary service. The ECC consecrates only after determining through careful examination that the candidate has been called of God, is genuinely committed to the apostolic message, lives in conformity to it, and is gifted for the specific service to which they are called. In consecration the church gratefully accepts the person as one called by God and given to the church to minister in the spirit of Christ. The ECC consecrates the missionary to be the servant of the gospel by word and deed through the missionary work of the ECC. The consecrated missionary credential is appropriate for missionaries who do not meet the educational requirements of the other permanent credentialing categories of ordination to word and sacrament, ordination to word and service, and commissioning.
Those who seek to be consecrated to missionary service are called to long-term missions work through Serve Globally. Candidates must meet the following requirements in order to be consecrated to missionary service:
- Be approved for missionary service by the Serve Globally Committee of the Executive Board of the ECC.
- Complete the educational requirements for consecrated missionaries. (These requirements are determined by the Serve Globally Committee of the Executive Board and the Board of the Ordered Ministry.)
- Be a member of a Covenant congregation.
- Previous experience as a Covenant missionary
- Completion of the required orientation program for missionaries of the ECC
- Participation in the Covenant Pension Plan or the Ministers’ 403(b) plan
- Submit a completed Minister’s Profile Form, signed baptism statement, Disclosure Form, and criminal record screening
Once the candidate has completed the above requirements, he or she notifies the Ordered Ministry and Serve Globally. If you would like to verify if your name is on the list of potential candidates, please contact the Ordered Ministry or Serve Globally. Note that the consecration process takes about a year and always culminates with the service of ordination, commissioning, and consecration at the Covenant Annual Meeting in June. Therefore, if a candidate wishes to be consecrated to missionary service in any given June, he or she must enter into the process no later than July 15 of the previous year.
- The Ordered Ministry sends all potential candidates a letter in June asking if they wish to be consecrated at next year’s Annual Meeting.
- The candidate responds to the letter before July 15.
- The Ordered Ministry sends all candidates an application for consecration and questions for the final paper.
- The candidate sends the completed application for consecration and final paper to Serve Globally by the due date (sometime in the fall).
- The Serve Globally committee on ministerial standing interviews the candidate in the fall. The candidate must have a favorable interview with the committee on ministerial standing in order to move forward in the process.
- The Board of the Ordered Ministry interviews the candidate at its Midwinter meeting and makes a recommendation.
- The candidate must receive a favorable recommendation from the Board of the Ordered Ministry, a favorable recommendation from the Serve Globally Committee of the Executive Board, approval of the Covenant Ministerium, and approval of the Covenant Annual Meeting.
- The candidate must participate in the service of ordination, commissioning, and consecration at the Covenant Annual Meeting.