October 7, 2021
The Presidential Nominating Committee (PNC) had its second meeting (its first in-person) the weekend of Sept. 25-26. The committee spent some time getting to know one another and appreciating each member’s gifts, experience, and love for the Evangelical Covenant Church.
We reviewed and affirmed the spiritual, communal discernment process that is guiding our work. That process is anchored in our commitment to seek the Holy Spirit’s guidance and our own spiritually prepared hearts.
In small breakout groups, we considered the Covenant’s recent history, present circumstances, and future possibilities. With President John Wenrich’s withdrawal from the process, we reviewed our Constitution and Bylaws and the timeline and process that will facilitate and equip us to complete our task of advancing a nominee to the Covenant Annual Meeting in June 2022.
We are grateful for the scores of letters and comments we have received via firstname.lastname@example.org. We highly value each voice and perspective, and encourage the input of anyone who has not yet submitted a response to the two questions the committee is considering:
- What attributes and qualities should the president of the Evangelical Covenant Church possess?
- What are the main areas/issue on the horizon that the president of the Evangelical Covenant Church will need to address in the next term?
All committee members are reading all letters and comments received. If you have not yet signed up for the CovChurchNow e-newsletter, where regular committee updates will be shared, please subscribe here. Please forward this link to fellow Covenanters who may not be subscribed to ensure they are receiving regular PNC updates.
The committee has developed a position description, which is available here.
The nomination process has begun, and we will be receiving nominations through November 15, 2021. According to the Covenant’s Constitution and Bylaws, the president of the Covenant must be an ordained Covenant minister in good standing and a member of a member congregation.
Nominations may be submitted in one of three ways:
- Visit Presidential Nomination Form, where nominations can be submitted electronically
- Download the Presidential Nomination Form and return it by email to email@example.com
- Send a letter with the Presidential Nomination Form via US postal service to Presidential Nominating Committee, 8303 W. Higgins Road, Chicago, IL 60631
All nominations must include:
- The name of the nominator
- The name of the church, city, and state of the nominator
- The name of the nominee(s)
- The Covenant church and conference where the nominee holds membership
- A brief paragraph describing why this person is being nominated (250 character maximum per nominee)
For additional details please view the Presidential Nomination Form. Electronic nominations must be received by November 15, 2021. Handwritten and mailed nominations must be postmarked by November 15, 2021.
As the committee proceeds in its work, please consider joining us on Mondays each week in a day of fasting and prayer. We are grateful for all the prayers being offered on our behalf.
In God’s Service,
Stephen R Dawson
Chair of Presidential Nominating Committee